- Scammers, it seems, have endless ways to try to gain access to money and information. One especially common trick? Tech support scams.
- These rackets have become sophisticated and can trap the best of us — including yours truly! As a consumer-oriented writer, I was confident I knew all the common tricks, like bogus pop-up windows claiming my computer is infected with malware.
- But I actually almost got caught in a “tech support” scam myself.
- It all started when I needed customer service for a problem with a router. I looked up the phone number by typing “Netgear tech support number” into Google, which is the way I look up phone numbers for everything, because companies sometimes make it hard to find contact numbers.
- Alas, that turned out to be a rookie mistake when it comes to tech support issues — as scammers have figured out how to game the results. Read more (5/3/17)